Confessions of a runner is a documentary series that I have created with Patrick Vaughan under our productions company "House of Steep Productions". This 30min. documentary is my first feature documentary that I have directed shot and edited.
"A blend of eye-popping scenery, extreme human achievement, and revealing personal stories, Confessions of a Runner is unscripted and unpredictable. it is a verite, athlete-driven series focusing on elite runners whose unique insights into the diversity and competitive nature of the human spirit are uplifting and astonishing. Unlike runners pursuing Olympic medals, or fame and glory, Ultra-marathoners have more complex reasons for their all-consuming hobby."
— Timothy Rockwood, Producer, House of Steep Productions
- Banff Best Film in Mountain Sports 2020
- Davis International Film Festival - Best Doc Short
- Arpa International - Nominated Best Doc Short
- Independent Shorts Awards - Winner - Best Doc Short - June 2020, Honorable Mention - Sound Design
- Weyauwega International Film Festival - Honorable Mention - Best Doc Short
- Documentary Short Festival - Oct 2020 - Best Cinematography
- Wild & Scenic 2021 - Jan 2021
- Vancouver International Mountain Film Festival - Feb 2021
“Marked by a rare truthfulness and an authenticity of emotion, Bachar Khattar's film Confessions of a Runner tells the inspiring story of a broken man who rises to a challenge he sets for himself. Daunted by lingering undertones of both crippling physical impairment and emotional disturbances, Patrick Vaughan redefines himself on the way to breaking the record for completing the 470 km Lebanon Mountain Trail in less than eight days. Archival material, local music, and brilliant candid camera add to the film, making for an inspiring and compelling experience.”
— Reena Mohan, jury member at Banff 2020